Vanderbilt Green Fund
The Vanderbilt Green Fund is a fund set aside for sustainability projects proposed by students. This year, it will distribute $84,000. Members of SPEAR and VSG established the Green Fund in the spring of 2011. We are looking for innovative and educational ideas that improve sustainability on campus.
To submit a project proposal, go to the VSG page on Anchorlink, then click on “Forms” on the left-hand side of the page. Click the form “Green Fund Project Submission” to submit your written proposal. Please keep proposals to two pages or fewer. See the bottom of this page for a sample proposal.
Application information will be released in the Fall semester.
The Green Fund Committee will review final applications in the spring and announce final projects in March 2015. The Green Fund Committee can allot the $84,000 to one project or divide it amongst multiple projects.
The application should concern one or more of the following aspects:
- Energy reduction
- Water reduction
- Greenhouse gas emission reduction
- Pollution reduction
- Education or awareness
Proposed projects will be reviewed based on seven factors:
- Project Description: A basic description of the project that identifies preliminary material, location, and informational requirements.
- Project Goal: A statement of the principle of eligibility under which the project falls (e.g., energy reduction) and a description of how this project will meet that goal.
- Environmental Impact: The projected impact the project will have on the university’s energy consumption, carbon footprint, and general sustainability.
- Resource and Cost Savings: The projected annual resource, and consequent monetary savings, of the project.
- Cost: An anticipated budget including construction costs, design costs, construction management costs (if applicable), demolition costs (if applicable), inspection fees, and other extraneous costs.
- Payback Period: The projected payback time based on the calculated costs and savings.
- Schedule: The projected schedule and timeline for design and implementation of the project.
Green Fund Project Winners Spring 2014:
- Revolving Door: $46,500
- ReCardio: $25,000
- EcoViate EcoTube/EcoTank: $5,000
- Kefi Recyclosaurus: $2,500
- Hydration Stations: $5,000
Please direct any questions to Sam Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org.